Wednesday, April 8, 2020

91DIVOC Tales#5



From a recent company talk that I had attended (name I shall not mention since they did not shortlist me for interviews and I am pretty mad at them for this), one old and wise gentleman mentioned about 'micro habits' and how they can be influential in our lives. I liked the concept, felt happy then and smiled it off later. Never looked back again................................ Until today, when in the midst of continuous dings due to COVID, I re-visit the daunting exercise of questioning myself, my CV etcetera for not making to a single interview invitee list. It's true, life throws situations at you, both expected and unexpected and watches how you deal with them. For the nth time in the past couple of weeks, I tell myself that this is a time to un-learn and learn! I guess it however took me more time than I anticipated to imbibe this message and that's when I recalled the wise man's message. Indeed, it's time for me to formulate my learning from this unique once-in-several-lifetimes situation and cultivate few micro habits that help me deal with the situation now and in the future. So let's get started!

If I were to describe my exact state of mind right now, it all feels like a dream! Super unreal. Not more than 10 days ago, I was infinite confident to receive invitations to interviews from all the companies I had applied to. I was in-fact selective in applying for firms for the fear that I may not find quality time to rejuvenate from back-to-back interviews. It's rather unfortunate that I got dinged by all the firms and I am still waiting to receive my first break. This may sound sad but trust me, that feeling of deep sorrow only lasted for a day in me. I was really glad, I couldn't believe myself that I could cope with it so well. It comes and goes now and then when I hear of other friends doing well but does not bother me too much. But what used to bother me was the realization that I am not as flexible a person as I thought I were usually. And this is what I describe as the dreamy state, every now-and-then I still struggle to come into terms with what's happening around.

But going back to my earlier point about learning from what life throws at me, isn't this the time I should reflect on what is my key learning from this experience and build a few micro habits to move on? From constant thinking for past few days, this is what I came up with. I want to make myself flexible and adaptable to situations. What does this translate to for me? I jot down couple of thoughts:

1. I want to detach myself from external validations such as brand of the company, educational institute, accolades and so on to believe in myself. This is tough I know, as I grew up in an environment that fosters nothing but external validation as a means for survival.

2. I want to replace this addiction for external validation with personal goals that I set for myself based on what I believe brings me happiness. This is tough too, as I figured lately that I do not much about what brings me happiness besides a few bad habits such as binge watching television.

These are broad ideas as you can see. How do I break them down into microhabits? Lets discuss that in the next chapter :)


  

No comments:

Post a Comment