Friday, January 11, 2013

Namma Bengaluru

It's been around six months since I joined Shell. First job after graduation. Lots of first time experiences to share.
Had this post not been connected to Bangalore/Shell any remotely, it would have definitely not made an appearance on my blog at all. Would have perhaps been confined to my dusty personal diary at the most.


I am not quite sure if this is due to the aura of Bangalore or coz of friends that I find the last four five months more livelier than before. Everything in 'more' quanta than before-  more friends, more fun, more family members in near proximity, more hometown visits, more functions, more matured et cetera.  
Well, this should raise one genuine question if one is conscious of my first statement in the post.
I have not spoken of anything closely relevant to corporate life so far- say work, colleagues, assignments and others. That's probably coz work/office is relatively a minor part of my life now unlike the past few years when I was more concerned about my future :)


I am currently an Operations Readiness and Assurance engineer (ignore if you don't get it ;)) and apparently a min of 5-6 years of experience in the oil field operations is mandatory. I never understand how a fresh graduate like me landed up in a profile like this. But over time, I realised that other profiles too have their own requirements and mine is no different. The best thing about Shell is that no matter where you start, you can always find sources to help you within reach provided you have the interest to learn new things. Always Ask! echoes everywhere in this work environment and I think this is the mantra in almost every industry.


I would say I got the right mix of opportunities in Bangalore! Damn good work life balance ( one of Shell principles), close friends living in and around this city,  IIT hubs both @ office and apartment, good number of hangout places within reach, hometown just 8 hrs away by train, pleasant climate after horrible chennai, trips abroad due to an MNC and many more to add to the list. Missing any single thing out of these would have slightly spoilt the flavour I am enjoying now. And I believe anyone who lives here would agree with me.
I go to office around half past 8 and by 4:30 - 5 pm, I find myself farting with my friends back home. This is cool isn't it? :) I wish life continues this way forever :D 


On the whole, I am now able to live my dream life- cool, more time for family & friends, concern for society (next post may be) and good work environment. As one of my dearest friends aptly quotes it as 'Royal life'!


I have always been happy as I never required a reason to be so, but I would say I am more happy now.. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment